A few weeks ago, Bramble Berry was advertising their rose gold bath bomb kit and I decided to grab one. I don’t care for rose scented things, but I generally carry most of the items needed to create bath bombs from my other crafts and I thought this might be something I’d be interested in trying. So why not get a kit to try it out.
I paid $28 including tax. Shipping was free for this promotion.
Opening up the box, I found a beautifully packed box. I’ve ordered from Bramble Berry many times in the past, they always pack the supplies well. They even tape the bottles shut in case of a leak.
The kit came with nicely printed step-by-step instructions and an ingredient list.
Once I got rid of the packing supplies in the box, I found the ingredients as well as a pipette and some latex gloves. I unpacked the instructions and noticed I’d have to gather a few things first.
Luckily, I had a mesh strainer and I expected I would need mixing bowls or something to work in.
I strained my dry ingredients to remove chunks. Super easy.
I dropped in my fragrance oil and then the last thing the recipe called for Polysorbate 80. Ummmm. The only wet ingredient other than fragrance oil in the box was Witch Hazel.
Is Witch Hazel the same thing? The bottle didn’t say. But I’m already mixing and there wasn’t any other option. The directions said to had half the bottle but after watching a number of videos on making bath bombs in the past I wasn’t about to dump a random amount of liquid into these ingredients. So I weighed out the liquid based on the recipe and slowly added it while mixing.
You’d think I would’ve stopped, but no. No, I did not.
After mixing, the consistency was packable like they said it would be so I got to packing into the molds.
This is where the second issue came up. The kit was supposed to make 6 or 7 bath bombs. I barely was able to get 4. Obviously, if I was going to do this again I’d have to double the recipe.
The instructions said the next step was to cover them in mica powders for color but they’d have to dry first and I’d be able to finish the next day.
And that’s where I found the 3rd issue. Even as careful as I was, they were slightly activated and started growing and popping apart.
So I basically 100% failed at my first bath bombs. I think they may still work but I’ll have to try them another day once they stopped expanding and dried out. Obviously, they won’t be great, but my bath should still smell good.
Let’s look at some pros and cons to the kit:
- Smells good. I don’t generally like rose scented things, but this was light and pleasant.
- Illustrated and easy-to-follow instructions.
- The kit should have almost everything you need.
- Reusable molds, plenty of witch hazel left over if you decide to make more.
- A missing ingredient from the kit.
- Only yielded 4 bath bombs, not 6 or 7.
- There was no warning when ordering what other items you’d need.
- There’s no room for error. If you mess up, you pretty much paid $28 for plastic molds and witch hazel.
If you decide to get this, watch some videos on YouTube and make sure all the ingredients are there before starting.
Edit: I did come back the next day and covered them in mica after testing some random pieces in the sink. They definitely still worked. However, this final step in the process is extremely messy. I’m pretty sure I’m going to be finding rose gold mica powder in my kitchen for a long time. Next time, I think I’ll just add colorant to the dry ingredients and leave it at that.