My first round of socks have all been sewn up and I’m starting to wear them. I’ve noticed a few things:
First, they are super cute.
Second, they are so soft and stretchy.
Third, it will take some time to get used to the texture on the bottom of my foot. Because I’m using sock yarn, and not a lace weight yarn, each loop is noticeably bigger and you can feel that on your foot when you walk. It’s not uncomfortable in any way, but you will notice the difference from a commercial sock as you wear them.
As I wear them I am slowly creating a list of changes and things to learn as I make each future sock. A few of the future changes will be:
- Change hung hem to a ribbed hung hem
- Round out the toes and heels better
- Try lace weight
Last night, I started playing around with the first one and started setting up the ribber attachment. I got a lot of extras with my machine so I’ll be slowly trying and playing with each thing until I get my ideal sock. Getting the ribber set up was a chore, but once everything was aligned and screwed down it was pretty simple. It was, however, very slow and tedious to remove and replace needles all for 30 rows of a cuff. I know I’ll get fast at it, but it seems like a very big pain in the butt for such a small section of each sock. But I got it working and the ribbing does seem like something I will want on my future socks.