Over the weekend, I got to sit down and do some playing with the new 3D printer. I have to admit, the Ultimaker 3 is pretty amazing, especially when I compare it to my old machine. Once I got it up and running, you pretty much just push the button and it does everything for you. So I loaded up a Tiny Rick 3D file (by 3D Print Guy) that I downloaded from MyMiniFactory.com. His prints are pretty stinking cute and I think I’ll be watching his account for new files.
The new printer prints with water-dissolvable supports, which means I can pretty much print anything. What used to be impossible (or just a huge pain) to print is now not an issue. I can print a lot of these on my old printer also, but I’d have to sit there and cut away a lot of material it needed to print in order to prop things up while it printed.
So now, things come out looking like this:
(You can thank me for that tushy on your screen later.)
Once the print is done, it’s just tossed into a bucket of water and all the clear/white plastic will disappear within a few hours.
The only downside to 3D Printing is the patience required. This machine is super easy to use, but printing with such detail takes literally forever.
Over a day to print a 5-inch statue… YIKES! At least this printer is just a set-it-and-forget-it type of thing. I think I got the print started early enough yesterday that it should be done printing before I get home from work today.
I also spent some time fixing my old machine. The replacement parts came in and now I have dueling 3D printers in my basement.
I bought these TV trays on amazon about 3 years ago. They were in expensive and looked pretty nice. But let’s be honest, all these trays are cheap press boards and some printed sticker laminate.
After years of putting hot dinner plates and drinks on them, they started to show their age with some blister spots and peeling paper. They bothered me enough that I took on yet another project.
I started by peeling off the side stickers which were a thicker stock and suprisingly easy to do. Then I got out my heat gun and scraped the glue off. The top sticker was very thin and wasn’t going to come off like the sides. So, I got out my sander and gave it hell until the whole thing was smooth wood again.
Now I have 4 perfect canvas’ to start working on (after I wipe all the sawdust off).
I got out my gesso and gave them all 2 coats to bring them up to a bright white. I decided to paint the theme of Rick & Morty and picked out 4 images to work from.
I think they came out pretty well:
The only thing left to do was to give them that glossy protective coating.